Registered Childcare

Anyone who provides childcare for children under the age of 12 for more than 2 hours a day for reward must be registered with Care Inspectorate Wales (CIW).

Registered childcare is eligible for parents and carers to claim support through the Working Tax Credit Childcare Element / Universal Tax Credits, Childcare Vouchers or Tax-Free Childcare. Torfaen Family Information Service provides details of local childcare and it will clearly say whether a setting is registered with CIW.

Nannies and babysitters do not have to be registered with the CIW when they care for the child in the child’s own home. There is an optional registration for nannies under the Childcare Approval Scheme and if  a nanny becomes approved, families might be able to claim help with the cost of childcare.

More information on CIW registered childcare >

Back to childcare and nursery education >