Types of Jobs

Out of school clubs (sometimes called kid's clubs) open before and after school and all day during school holidays, giving 4 -14 year olds a safe and enjoyable place to play and meet. Most groups are resgistered with the Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales (CSSIW). Before and after school clubs generally run during term time only. Holiday clubs run only through the holidays. Holiday playschemes are often run by local authorities, charities or voluntary organisations in local community centres, leisure centres or schools. They offer a wide range of activities such as sport, drama, arts, crafts or music. Holiday playschemes vary and can operate for a few hours each day or all day Monday to Friday. They tend to open longer during the summer holiday.

Employment within Nurseries and Creches
There are all kinds of nurseries and they provide different types of care. A creche will provide sessional care for children under 8 and for no longer than 4 hours at a time. These are commonly located in leisure or shopping centres. Day nurseries usually provide full day care for children under 5 and are open all year round. Children attend either full-time or part-time depending on their needs. Local Authority nurseries open all day Monday - Friday during term time only. Often there will be one group of children attending the morning sessions and a different group attending afternoon sessions. Nurseries can offer the opportunity to work part time or term time only to fit in with other commitments.

Pre-School and Playgroups
Pre-schools and playgroups provide childcare, play and early years education, usually for children aged between 2 and 5 and usually during term time only. They can run 2 or more sessions a week with each session lasting two to two and a half hours. Some playgroups also offer wraparound care which extends the session and may also provide lunch for the children. Most groups are registered with CSSIW.

Childminding is currently the most popular kind of daycare chosen by parents, as it offers the greatest flexibility. Childminders are self employed and look after children aged under five as well as school age children outside school hours and in the holidays, usually in their own home. They offer this service all the year round for the full adult working day. Parents and childminders negotiate the terms and conditions. Anyone who looks after children aged under eight for more than two hours a day - for payment or reward - must be registered with CSSIW. A Childminder Start-up Grant can help you with your set up costs.

Classroom Assistant
Teaching Assistants (Classroom Assistants) and Learning Support Assistants support children's learning in a wide variety of ways. These range from helping children change for PE and assisting with toileting, to supporting the teacher with the delivery of the curriculum. In addition there are Specialist Assistants who support children with additional educational needs. Volunteers also play a vital role in the classroom often listening to the children read and providing an 'extra pair of hands'.

Nannies usually offer home based childcare within the child's own home but can operate a nanny-share service for up to two families out of one of the family homes. In Wales, to care for children from more than two families, you must register as a Childminder.

Nannies can operate on a daily or a live-in basis and may seek work independendly or through an agency. A Nanny can offer flexible childcare during 'unsociable' hours to fit in with a parent's work pattern, such as shift working, subject to agreement. Nannies can work all year on a part time or full time basis, subject to individual requirements. Parents may be able to access financial support towards this form of childcare though Working Tax Credits or employer supported childcare so long as the nanny is registered with the Childcare Approval Scheme.

Nannies are not currently required to be registered by law but can voluntarily register with the CSSIW Childcare Approval Scheme.

FIS Service Logo